Episode 4 - Are Affirmations Really Worth It? 4 Steps to Improve Affirmations For Yourself
Updated: Dec 30, 2021
Listen On Apple Podcast | Spotify | Stitcher
Words of inspiration, encouragement & hope! It’s what gets us through struggles, right? Believing all we need to do is trust ourselves, believe so deeply in ourselves & our ability that we can change it all! The mindset shift will take us to the next level, right?
“Discernment is not knowing the difference between right and wrong. It is knowing the difference between right and almost right.” —C.H. Spurgeon
This This quote makes me stop and think do you remember the first Lie?
“The serpent said to the woman, “It is not true that you will surely die; because God knows that on the day you eat from it, your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
(Gen) 3:4-5 CJB
The twisted truth is still not the truth!
Do you really believe YOU are enough yourself? Do you believe YOU hold all the powers you need? You alone, completely alone?
This was a lot of the inspiration for todays podcast although we don't go into this above story in the podcast, just let me know of this is something we should dig deeper into!
What Are Affirmations?
Statements that affirm something to be true, saying something is true in a confident way.
Do affirmation work for you? I talk about the one store I felt was a affirmation for me during a deep depression many years ago, but it’s never been something I do daily or need. Recently I started noticing, affirmation everywhere. So here we are I ran past a affirmation that said , I Am Enough. And it hit me so hard that this was not true for me. If you told me to just say this over & over, right it down all over & remind myself - I could not & would not of done it. Here where some of my struggles - deep down I didn’t believe I was enough. This inner struggle was so deep There I’d no way I would really ever believe that statement.
Twisted trusts are all around us & I have tried hard to make sure I’m listening, more now than ever. So why was this such a hard statement for myself. The first reason, these statements can be mentally rejected to protect us.
1. Your inner struggle is Stronger than the Positive Statement!
2. Its not catered , and specific to your Life.
3. You’re not asking the deeper questions
4. They don’t match your values.
4 Steps To Improve Your Affirmations
1 . Everyone has negative Thoughts, it’s better to accept you do have this deep negative thought first. YOU DONT HAVE TO CONTINUE BELIEVING IT, just accept that this is what your negative thought is . The point is to acknowledge the negative, take note of it & improve it where we can. In a battle we know their coming, we accept that & get ready to defend ourselves. Your thoughts are no different!
2. You can take any positive statements & customize them to be specific to your goals, stressor, or lifestyle specifically! If we know what our negative thoughts are we can change a positive one to be more true in our situation. This can help us better believe that we are saying.
3. Start asking questions about that negative thought And stop trying to force twisted truths on yourself! Saying something we don’t believe over & over, while nothing changes - to me this make me feel defeated, like I failed. Dig deeper to ask why you don’t believe this. Flip the positive or negative into a question for yourself. For my example it was ; Am I Enough? Can I do it Alone? Am I strong enough? Do I believe that? What would make me strong ? What would make me enough?
4. Does your affirmation or new questions, match the life values you have? Being honest is one for a lot of people, having their faith, etc. Here is where my affirmation changes - I had to add my faith & my season of struggles. I had to change my statement from I am Enough , to I am Enough With God In Me! I had to ask myself if my values actually tell me I can do it alone! And they don't for me. I need more than positive statements I need my faith to build stronger foundations than what I can build alone! What ever your values it’s important to bring them in here to tie it all in for you And your mindset shift.
Faith Based Affirmations
For me it’s definitely a huge life value to have faith in the center. I know this is why that Affirmation I passed “You are Enough” , hit my core so strong. I might of just brushed over this in the past, but now, after coming through a Winter season where God continues to do work on me and my mindset, heart, relationships & life. I know living more by the Spirit and with faith is the only way for me to not be consumed by todays overwhelming negativity.
If you think faith affirmations are something that would work better for you I have 5 Free Faith Based Affirmation for you. I added the Fruits of the Spirit since we already talked some about the importance of them in other episodes , so they can inspire you to create positive faith based affirmation that tough your heart!
Tell me what you thought about this weeks episode & how you use affirmations!
Make sure to subscribe & check back on Mondays for your next episode!
Check out the blog for more Krishnasutherland.com
Don't forget to subscribe & leave a review so I can better serve you!
LET'S CONNECT MORE
Instagram : @krishnasutherland
The Facebook Community : Official Podcast Community - The Krishna Sutherland Show